Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Breathe






































This is a single-page painting instead of a two-page spread, the first page of a brand new journal. Looking forward from the first month in a brand new year or the first page of a new book, it's exciting to think of what will follow. The text in this painting advises: "Relax your wrist and arm. Breathe." I found the phrase in a book of drawing exercises, but it's great advice to follow at the beginning of just about anything.

To my eye, the figure in this painting is facing a doorway, perhaps about to go through. The doorway or arch is an image that paints itself into my paintings - it has been popping up from time to time since last year, usually with a figure nearby. I don't know what is on the other side of the door! But I know that if I relax and breathe and try not to control the painting too much, the images will begin to give me little hints, maybe about when it's time to move forward and walk through.

9" X 12" acrylics, collage, hand-carved stamps, pitt artist pen

No comments:

Post a Comment